Tips for What to Do When You Can’t Sleep
Whether you’ve got a lot on your mind or sipped on coffee too late in the afternoon, we all know the feeling when you can’t go to sleep. First and foremost, the clock can be your worst enemy when you’re trying to sleep as it can give you anxiety the more you look at it. Here are some tips for what to do when you can’t sleep.
- Read a book, but avoid books that seem interesting and appeal to you. Stay away from genres like horror, mystery, or comedy; these books can keep your brain excited and stimulated, thus keeping you awake longer as you continue reading.
- Keeping your feet warm can help induce sleep.
- Listen to some soothing music or sounds.
- Have a glass of water next to your bed. It will prevent you from getting up when you get thirsty.
- Avoid exercising close to your bedtime. This will pump up your adrenaline.
- Try reflecting on your day as it can give you something to focus on
- Practice peaceful activities before you go to bed such as stretching, dimming the lights, or just relaxing in bed. That way your body will be relaxed when it’s time for bed.
- Try taking a warm bath before falling asleep.
- Have a stuffed animal to snuggle with. This may help you feel safe and secure!
- Invest in thicker curtains or an eye mask. Keeping the room as dark as possible promotes serotonin secretions in the brain, making you tired.
- Avoid playing electronic devices right before sleeping. The light stimulates daylight and keep you awake longer
- Try getting a snack such as yogurt or walnuts which act as sleep boosters.
- Try going to bed a little earlier each night. You won’t fall asleep instantly, but if you get used to it, you won’t be as tired in the morning.
- Playing a ‘dull’ game like solitaire may tire your eyes and help you doze off.
- Try closing your eyes and promise yourself not to open them.
- Turning on a fan or cooler can make it a more comfortable environment.