Celebrate World Sleep Day with a Good Night's Rest
World Sleep Day 2017 takes place March 17 – are you ready for it? If not, there’s still plenty of time to prepare.
To better understand the importance of World Sleep Day, let’s first consider some of the key questions about the importance of getting a good night’s rest.
Why Is Sleep Important?
There are many reasons why sleep is important to individuals of all ages, including:
- Sleep supports good health and well-being. Sleep helps the brain work properly and has even been shown to improve learning. Conversely, those who suffer sleep deprivation may find it more difficult than others to solve problems, make decisions and cope with change.
- Sleep can affect your mood. A lack of sleep may result in various psychological and psychiatric problems. As such, an individual who fails to get sufficient rest may be more susceptible than others to chronic mood disorders.
- Sleep offers physical health benefits. Several studies have linked sleep deficiency to obesity. In addition, researchers have found sleep deficiency may increase an individual’s risk of heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure and other long-lasting health issues.
World Sleep Day is designed to raise awareness of the importance of sleep. If you celebrate the holiday to the fullest extent, you may be able to discover the best ways to get the Zzz’s you need to maximize your productivity and efficiency.
How Much Sleep Do You Need to Get?
The National Institutes of Health notes the average adult needs seven to eight hours of sleep per night.
On the other hand, many adults fail to prioritize sleep – just consider the results of a recent study conducted by The Better Sleep Council:
- 48 percent of U.S. adults said they do not get enough sleep, and less than half of these respondents noted they do not take any action to improve their sleep habits.
- U.S. adults between the ages of 35 and 54 years old said they feel more sleep deprived (52 percent) than other adults.
- Women are more in tune to their sleep needs than men, yet women suffer from lack of sleep more than men.
World Sleep Day is a celebration of sleep and brings sleep deficiency to the forefront. For those who are dealing with sleep deficiency, this holiday offers a great opportunity to resolve their sleep issues once and for all.
How Can You Enjoy a Good Night’s Rest?
Believe it or not, enjoying a good night’s rest may be as simple as picking up a new mattress.
According to The Better Sleep Council study, 47 percent of adults who get enough sleep said they use a comfortable mattress. The study also indicated 50 percent of women use a comfortable mattress and bedding to aid sleep.
This World Sleep Day, make a good night’s rest a priority and purchase a new mattress – you’ll be glad you did. With a top-notch mattress, you can move closer to making a good night’s rest a regular occurrence.