What to Consider When Buying New Bed Sheets
Bed sheets represent accessories unlike any other, and for good reason. With the right bed sheets, you can improve your chances of making a good night’s sleep a regular occurrence.
There are two types of bed sheets:
- Fitted: Fitted bed sheets go directly above the mattress. They feature four corners sewn with elastic that hold the sheets in place.
- Flat: Flat bed sheets commonly consist of cloth with a hem. They lie on top of a mattress.
Further, bed sheets are available in a wide range of fabrics, including:
- Cotton: As a breathable fabric, cotton transfers moisture away from the skin. This means cotton sheets will help you feel cool on hot days and warm when the temperature drops. In addition, cotton is a hypoallergenic fabric, and cotton sheets provide an ideal option for those who are prone to allergies or skin irritation.
- Egyptian Cotton: Egyptian cotton sheets have a higher thread count, i.e. the number of threads that are woven together to produce a single sheet inch, than their traditional cotton counterparts. Generally, Egyptian cotton sheets deliver a superior mix of comfort, durability and luxury.
- Flannel: For those who want soft, cozy bed sheets, there may be no better options than flannel sheets. Like cotton sheets, flannel varieties consist of a breathable fabric that traps air and body heat, and wicks moisture away from the body. Flannel sheets also are easy to wash in warm or cold water and will maintain their quality for an extended period of time.
- Satin: Satin sheets provide an ideal alternative to down comforters. They are hypoallergenic and consist of 18 essential amino acids that have been shown to help calm the nervous system while a person sleeps. Moreover, studies have indicated that the amino acids found in satin sheets may even help individuals combat the signs of aging, particularly in the face.
- Bamboo: Bamboo sheets are strong and durable, and as such, are sure to serve you well for years to come. These sheets are soft to the touch, breathable and thermo-regulating and help provide an unparalleled sleep experience.
- Tencel: Tencel is an eco-friendly fabric that is made with wood pulp from sustainable tree farms. Tencel sheets usually feature rich colors, exceptional durability and advanced moisture absorbency.
- Microfiber: Microfiber sheets are incredibly thin. However, the sheets boast outstanding durability and softness. Because of this, microfiber remains a top choice for individuals of all ages.
So which are the best bed sheets? Ultimately, you’ll want to consider the comfort and durability of bed sheets – along with their fabric – to find bed sheets that suit you perfectly. You also may want to review the costs of various bed sheets; although some varieties might cost more than others, they can deliver long-lasting value as well.
Clearly, there is a lot to consider when you purchase bed sheets. Explore all of the bed sheet options at your disposal, and you should have no trouble making the right selection.