The Benefits of an Adjustable Bed
In this digital era with laptops, smart phones and iPads, adjustable beds are rapidly growing in popularity– especially with those who want a personalized sleep experience. Why should you have to scrunch up pillows or sit in an unnatural position against your bed frame when you can select the ideal position for your back and legs?
The first thing that may come to mind with these kinds of beds is the clunky hospital bed, but adjustable beds have come a long way and evolved into a fashionable system designed to give people the freedom to read, work or watch TV in perfect comfort.
What is an adjustable bed?
You probably have a pretty good idea what a traditional bed frame looks like: flat and stationary. Adjustable base beds provide a huge amount of flexibility for sleepers to enjoy their bed in different positions. Most adjustable beds allow for sleepers to independently lift the top and bottom portions of their mattress between 40 and 70 degrees. This flexibility is great if you want to sit up in bed for any reason, be it be it to relieve back pain or to more comfortably watch TV.
What are the benefits of getting an adjustable bed?
Adjustable beds help relieve back pain, especially if you suffer from chronic back pain. For each of the conditions listed below, an adjustable bed provides just the right kind of support.
- Spinal stenosis – Position your bed more forward to expand the space in your spine and decrease pain.
- Degenerative spondylolisthesis – Sleep with your knees and back elevated to relieve pain.
- Osteoarthritis – Set your bed to a reclined position to help with joint compression.
- Back surgery recovery – Elevate your upper body to minimize lower back strain and help you get better sleep while you heal.
Numerous Health Perks
In addition to relieving back pain, adjustable beds offer sleepers with a range of issues ways to improve their sleep health.
- Easier breathing – Sleep in an inclined position to help with different breathing issues like sleep apnea, asthma, and snoring.
- Improve digestion – Angle your body so your stomach is above your intestines, allowing your digestive tract to run smoothly.
- Ease heartburn – Sleep at an incline to help with acid reflux.
- Enhance blood circulation – Elevate the bottom half of your bed so blood flows back to your heart. As a result, you’ll improve overall circulation while reducing swelling in your legs and feet.
An adjustable bed isn’t just great for your health, it can also improve the quality of your life in numerous ways.
- Gain independence – An adjustable bed can literally help you get in and out of bed, and support you while you complete tasks like eating, writing, and working on your laptop. This means working from home just got way comfier.
- Maintain quality sleep – Having a bed that can adjust to your needs means you can maintain sleep quality as those needs change. Adjustable Beds adjust, who knew!
- Get custom comfort for you and your partner – If you have a partner, there are adjustable beds that allow each of you to adjust your own side of the bed. So you can keep your side inclined to watch your favorite late-night TV show while your partner reclines to catch some zzzs. Win-win.
Are adjustable beds right for everyone?
There are some situations where an adjustable bed might not be right for you.
- Don’t get an adjustable (yet) if you’re thinking about getting a new mattress. Imagine you decide to buy adjustable base and then soon after upgrade from a queen to king mattress. If upgrading your mattress is on your mind, consider ways to execute this purchase together so you can get the most out of your investment.
- Don’t get an adjustable bed if you have drawers under your bed frame. Adjustable bases are designed to fit inside most bed frames. Bed frames with underside drawers, however, likely will not work with an adjustable base.
When an adjustable beds is the perfect solution
Adjustable beds are much more than a bed for sleeping. Here are some benefits you will enjoy when introducing an adjustable bed to your home:
- Watching Television - Adjust the bed to raise the head, neck and shoulders to a comfortable, semi-upright position for enjoying your favorite TV show or binge-watch a hit series. With an adjustable bed, there’s no longer the need to double over or stack pillows for support. There’s also no need to endure the pain of a stiff neck or backache resulting from the head and neck leaning against a headboard at an unnatural angle. The lower legs and feet can be independently lifted or lowered to a position that’s the most comfortable.
- Surf the Web in Comfort - Motorized adjustable beds allow you to find a comfortable, ergonomically correct position at the push of a button on a wired or wireless adjustable bed remote. Catch up on work, shop for bargains online, play games or enjoy your favorite hobby, all from the comfort and privacy of your bedroom.
- Enjoy Sound, Relaxing Sleep - The number of possible sleeping positions adjustable beds can provide are virtually limitless. You’ll quickly discover the right height, degree of incline and the amount the head or feet need to be raised or lowered to provide relaxing, uninterrupted sleep night after night.
- Great for Sleeping with a Partner - Is your partner ready to sleep, but you’re still wide awake watching a show or working on your laptop? No Problem! With a divided, or split-base King or California King bed such as a TEMPUR Up Foundation, he or she can lower his or her side of the bed to a comfortable position and drift off to sleep while you continue to work away. When you’re ready to call it a night, adjust your side of the bed to your preferred sleeping position without disturbing your partner.
So who are adjustable beds for?
Adjustable beds are right for a whole range of people. As we've mentioned, they have clear health benefits like relieving back pain and helping improve conditions like sleep apnea and blood circulation. But besides the health benefits, they’re great for anyone who likes to watch TV bed or surf the web— which is kind of everyone. Adjustable beds might just be right for you.
Sit ‘n Sleep has a huge selection of adjustable beds. Visit one of our sleep centers conveniently located throughout Southern California and speak with one of our highly trained Sleep Consultants who’ll help you find the right adjustable bed and mattress combination for your unique situation. Our huge inventory, low price guarantee, next-day delivery and financing options make Sit ‘n Sleep the right choice for all your sleeping needs.For those interested in learning more about the benefits of an adjustable mattress, contact Sit n’ Sleep today at 1-800-675-3536!