Foods that Will Help You Sleep Easier
Everyone knows about the inherent value of a midnight snack, but what about those times when you’re lying wide awake at night and no matter what you try you just can’t get to sleep? What can you do to finally induce some Z’s and get a proper night’s sleep?
Believe it or not, changing what you eat – even by just a little bit – can make all the difference between being wide awake and sleeping like a baby. Here are just a few foods that can help you sleep easier:
· Bananas. Two of the main nutrients found in this tasty fruit are potassium and magnesium, which also double as muscle relaxants. They are also full of tryptophan, an amino acid that produces serotonin and melatonin – both of which also act as relaxants and promote sleepiness.
· Peanuts and peanut butter. If you love peanut butter sandwiches, or just peanuts in general, you’ll be happy to hear both can help you if you’re having trouble falling asleep. That’s because peanuts have a lot of niacin, another nutrient that helps release a lot of serotonin into your system and helps you relax.
· Grapes. Believe it or not, grapes are the only fruit that naturally contain melatonin, a sleep regulating hormone. Add a few to your diet just before you go to bed and you will be able to fall asleep faster.
· Almonds. These little treats are packed with protein. Like bananas, they’ve also got quite a bit of magnesium as well, and are a great snack on their own or on toast before bed.
· Milk. An old standby for many, a warm glass of milk can be just the thing to help you get to sleep. A solid source of calcium, milk is also full of tryptophan, which helps with serotonin and melatonin production.