In Your Cart
- Primo Odyssey
- Sherwood Essex Firm
- Sherwood 2015 Dover Luxury Firm
- Primo Galaxy Plush
- Primo Saturn
- Primo Cosmos Firm Pillow Top
- Primo Gemini
- Primo Pluto
- Sherwood 2015 Camelot Extra Firm
- Sherwood 2015 Coventry Euro Top
- Sherwood 2015 Kendall Gel Luxury Firm
- Primo Enchantment
- Primo Constellation Cushion Firm Euro Top
- Sherwood 2015 Kendall Gel Pillow Top
- Sherwood Stafford Gel Firm
- Sherwood 2015 Camelot Pillow Top
- Primo Antares
- Sherwood 2015 Stafford Gel Luxury Plush
- Sealy Redondo Beach Plush Euro Top
- Primo Bermuda Breeze
- Primo Comet Ultra Plush Euro Top
- Sherwood 2015 Stafford Gel Super Pillow Top
- iComfort Applause II Plush
- Kingsdown Passions Rome - Red (Firm)
- Kingsdown Passions Vienna - Blue (Medium Firm)
- iComfort Applause II Firm
- Sherwood Celebrity Firm
- Primo Nordic Breeze
- Beautyrest Platinum Sure Thing Extra Firm
- Sherwood Harbor Latex Luxury Firm Mattress | Sit n' Sleep
- Primo Biscayne Breeze
- Kingsdown Series 200 - Gold (Plush)
- Kingsdown Series 200 - Red (Extra Firm)
- Kingsdown Series 200 - Blue (Medium Firm)
- Sherwood Celebrity Jumbo Pillow Top
- Kingsdown Passions Paris Pillow Top - Green (Medium Plush)
- Kingsdown Series 200 - Green (Medium Plush)
- iComfort Recognition Extra Firm
- Sherwood Harbor Talalay Plush Mattress
- Beautyrest Platinum Alacazam Luxury Firm Pillow Top
- Sherwood Harbor Talalay Pillow Top | Sit n' Sleep
- iComfort Blue 500
- iComfort Advisor Super Pillow Top
- Beautyrest Platinum Pizazz Luxury Firm Pillow Top
- Kingsdown Series 400 - Green (Medium Plush)
- Kingsdown Series 400 - Red (Firm)
- Kingsdown Series 400 - Blue (Medium Firm)
- Sherwood Ambiance Luxury Firm Mattress | Sit n' Sleep
- Sherwood Majesty Luxury Firm
- Aireloom Arcadia Firm
- Aireloom Arcadia Plush
- Stearns & Foster Scarborough Ultra Firm
- Beautyrest Black Desiree Luxury Firm
- Kingsdown Series 500VZ - Blue (Medium Firm)
- Beautyrest Platinum Hybrid Amaretto Luxury Firm
- Kingsdown Series 500vz - Green (Medium Plush)
- Kingsdown Series 500VZ - Red (Firm)
- Beautyrest Black Katarina Plush Pillow Top
- Beautyrest Black Katarina Luxury Firm Pillow Top
- Beautyrest Platinum Hybrid Bramble Plush
- Beautyrest Black Mariela Extra Firm
- Beautyrest Black Mariela Plush
- Kingsdown Series 600 - Gold (Plush)
- Sherwood Sanctuary Firm Mattress
- Kingsdown Series 600 - Red (Firm)
- Kingsdown Series 600 - Blue (Medium Firm)
- Spink & Edgar Egyptian Cotton 3000 Firm
- Kingsdown Series 600 - Green (Medium Plush)
- Beautyrest Black Natasha Plush Pillow Top
- Stearns & Foster Rookwood Luxury Firm
- Spink & Edgar Yorkshire 5000 Firm
- Sherwood Sanctuary Luxury Firm Mattress
- Kingsdown Series 800 - Blue (Medium Firm)
- Kingsdown Series 800 - Green (Medium Plush)
- Kingsdown Series 800 - Gold (Plush)
- Kingsdown Series 800 - Red (Firm)
- Aireloom Equestrian Plush Latex Collection
- Aireloom Equestrian Firm Latex Collection
- Beautyrest Black Sonya Luxury Firm Pillow Top
- Spink & Edgar Alpaca 7000 Luxury Firm
- TEMPUR - Cloud Supreme Breeze 2.0 Mattress
- Spink & Edgar Angora 9000 Luxury Plush
- Aireloom Bel Aire
One of the first things to consider when buying a mattress is mattress size. It can’t be too small to not fit the amount of people who are intending to sleep on it, too short to have legs dangling or too big to take up the entire room. That’s why it’s important to ask yourself a variety of questions, such as:
- Is there enough room to let me sleep in my preferred sleep position?
- Will this mattress allow my partner to have enough room to sleep comfortably?
- Is this mattress long enough for my child to sleep comfortably?
- How long do I intend on staying in this room/apartment?
These questions will help guide you towards the right mattress size for you – but first, you have to understand standard mattress sizes.
Standard Mattress Size
Focusing completely on the length and width of a mattress can be puzzling, which is why there are names for standard mattress sizes. Here are the standard mattress size names, and our recommendations for the best sleeping arrangement:
Twin: This is the smallest mattress size outside of a crib, and can fit a single child or adult easily. Twin mattresses are 38 inches wide by 75 inches long, which are great when living in tight spaces, but may still be too short for some adults, particularly men.
Twin XL: The XL in this case stands for extra-long – in fact, it’s 5 inches longer than a normal twin. This mattress size fits comfortably in most college dorm rooms, so it makes for a great mattress to transition from home to college if a mattress is not already provided.
Full: Measuring still at 75 inches long, this mattress size gets its name from being 53 inches wide – only 15 inches wider than a standard twin. While it can fit two people, it will only provide 27 inches of sleeping space, which is actually the equivalent width of a crib! And because of its length, a full size mattress will not provide enough room for someone on the taller size, but the width makes it a great option for children who like to spread out while sleeping or for parents who want more space to tuck their children in at night.
Queen: This mattress size comfortably fit two people, since it is 60 inches wide by 80 inches long. The additional 6 inches of width and 5 inches of length allows couples to sleep comfortably while not taking up too much space in a master bedroom. Queen-size mattresses are also great choices for guest rooms so you can accommodate one person or two people comfortably.
King: If you or your partner sprawls while sleeping or just prefers having more room, this mattress size is for you! A king mattress is 18 inches wider than a queen, and can accommodate having children or a pet sneak into bed without impeding on your sleeping space.
California King: While the California king is 4 inches narrower than a standard king, it makes up for it by being 4 inches longer. In fact, you still receive 6 inches more sleeping room width-wise than a queen bed! A California king is a great mattress size when you have more than one pet or child that likes to jump into bed with you.
Now that you have the information, it’s time to find your perfect mattress! Make sure to filter your search by mattress size so you can discover the right mattress for you and your loved ones with ease. Feel free to contact us or visit your local Sit ’n Sleep if you have any questions – we look forward to helping you!
As of 12/30/2015, California state law requires retailers to collect an $11 recycling fee on each mattress and each box spring sold. (I.E. A recycling fee of $22 must be assessed for the purchase of one mattress with one box spring.) The amount of the fee was mandated by the state and is not set by individual retailers. To see the details of the recycling fee in California click here.